Today's Most Watched Stories
- First-person clip shows Oklahoma cop chasing, gunning down suspect (GRAPHIC VIDEO)
- Alexis Tsipras sworn in as new Greek prime minister – live updates
- Child abuse inquiry counsel questioned by MPs: Politics Live blog
- Open Source: Greek Leftists Adopt Patti Smith Anthem ‘People Have the Power’ as Their Own
- Unlikely Friendship Benefits Both Obama and Modi
- Subscribe to Site-wide RSS Feed
- Subscribe to TOP NEWS feed rss
Category Archives: Parents and parenting
Daisy Jacobs has just been nominated for an Oscar at the age of 26. Her extraordinary animated film explores the way her grandmother’s final months of illness divided her family
Daisy Jacobs learned her trade at her grandmother’s knee: she would watch as she painted and, as Daisy worked her way through art school and set herself up as an animation film-maker, Eileen was her greatest champion.
So it seems fitting that when Daisy was nominated for an Oscar this month – aged 26 – it was for a film all about Eileen. The only sadness, as her family toast Daisy and she prepares for the trip to the ceremony in Los Angeles next month, is that Eileen didn’t live to see Daisy’s moment of triumph. Her prize-winning film (it has already won one major prize and was nominated for a Bafta) was prompted by Eileen’s death aged 75 and, says Daisy, in many ways an attempt to hang on to her grandmother for as long as possible.