Today's Most Watched Stories
- Germanwings crash: report that co-pilot Lubitz had suffered ‘personal life crisis’ – rolling updates
- Germanwings jet crashed after eight-minute unexplained descent – live updates
- Abiding Rifts Within Israel Threaten to Widen With Netanyahu Win
- Solar eclipse – live updates
- Army probes alleged ‘Racial Thursdays’: What is military’s diversity record?
- Subscribe to Site-wide RSS Feed
- Subscribe to TOP NEWS feed rss
Category Archives: Parents and parenting
My role is to support women who want to breastfeed, and respecting a woman’s choice not to. Because they’re her breasts
Her baby is nine days old when she calls. In a voice thickened with tears: “He’s lost weight, the midwife says I have to give him formula.”
I have heard this countless times. I try to respond as sympathetically and tactfully as I can. I cannot directly contradict her midwife, yet I must empathise. “You sound so upset,” I say. “Do you want to use formula?”
I feel honoured to have witnessed a woman find confidence in herself.
I cannot tell her what to do, and more importantly, I do not want to.
Most breastfeeding advocates are not concerned if a woman does not want to breastfeed.
Researchers call for regulation of internet sales of breast milk, boosted by demand from mothers unable to breastfeed, bodybuilders and fetishists Continue reading…