Today's Most Watched Stories
- Seville’s silent summer: Spanish city bans outdoor noise
- Birthright did not kill Max Steinberg – and why it’s offensive to say it did
- Gaza crisis: UN and US announce ceasefire – as it happened
- Italian cinema boom brings la dolce vita back to the big screen
- Congressional delegation joins thousands at New York pro-Israel rally
- Subscribe to Site-wide RSS Feed
- Subscribe to TOP NEWS feed rss
Category Archives: Liverpool
Huge deals for Suárez and James Rodríguez top spending but free move for Ashley Cole shows value in the market
The summers transfer activity so far confirms Spains big two as the ultimate destination for the worlds best players, with James Rodríguez and Luis Suárez the headline signings for Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively, though in keeping with its reputation the Premier League has a greater number of clubs splashing the cash. While English football might not be able to claim as many marquee names as it once could, spending in depth is still a Premier League speciality.
Take out Real Madrid and Barcelona business from the Spanish transfer window and all one is left with is a handful of intermediate signings by Atlético Madrid. In Italy only two clubs, Roma and Juventus, have spent more than £10m to date and the same is true of the Bundesliga, where Borussia Dortmund and Bayer Leverkusen are leading the way. The French league is normally a minor player in these matters yet a £50m bill for David Luiz cannot go unnoticed, even if Paris Saint-Germain must have been tempted to check the small print in the deal after the defenders erratic display in Brazils World Cup semi-final against Germany.
England midfielder suffers lateral collateral ligament damage Lallana could miss season opener against SouthamptonThe Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana could miss the start of the new season after injuring a knee in training. The 26-year-old, who moved…