Today's Most Watched Stories
- Kenya: Seven People Evacuated From Collapsed Makongeni Building, Rescue Operation Ongoing
- Putin press conference: ‘economy will rebound within two years’ – live
- The Apprentice 2014: episode 11 live blog – as it happens
- Pakistan Taliban school attack kills 141, mostly children – live updates
- Derby v Chelsea: Capital One Cup – live!
- Subscribe to Site-wide RSS Feed
- Subscribe to TOP NEWS feed rss
Category Archives: Heritage
Martin Filler accuses project boss of desecration, but Patrice Calvel says he is just ‘doing a bit of vacuuming’ in French cathedral
Chartres Cathedral in France is an awe-inspiring sight, renowned in particular for its medieval stained glass windows and stone carvings.
When the American architect Martin Filler and his wife, the architectural historian Rosemarie Haag Bletter, visited the country recently they decided to view the progress of an eight-year restoration project at the Unesco world heritage site, 50 miles southwest of Paris. Its soaring interior is being cleansed of centuries of pollution and grime from candles and oil lamps.