Today's Most Watched Stories
- Germanwings crash: report that co-pilot Lubitz had suffered ‘personal life crisis’ – rolling updates
- Abiding Rifts Within Israel Threaten to Widen With Netanyahu Win
- Germanwings jet crashed after eight-minute unexplained descent – live updates
- Solar eclipse – live updates
- European leaders hold meeting on Greek bailout – live updates
- Subscribe to Site-wide RSS Feed
- Subscribe to TOP NEWS feed rss
Category Archives: Banking
Mega-banks unlikely to flee abroad after taxpayer bailouts – and there are questions over whether Singapore and China would be capable of hosting them
Every time George Osborne announces a minor upwards tweak to the bank levy, a section of the City reacts as if the chancellor has declared an ambition to drive the money-changers out of London’s financial temple.
Nigel Wilson, chief executive of insurer Legal & General, took up the cudgels at the weekend. Osborne is “repeatedly going back to the well to extract funds through a bank levy, a move which ultimately risks forcing banks to relocate outside the UK”, he said.